Sunday, November 9, 2014

RENOVATION UPDATE: The Countdown Is On!!!!

The FLOORS are finished! For the wooden section I decided to stain the floors with two colors. The first was a red mahogany stain. And the second was two coats of a walnut stain with polyurethane. I used a stain pad. The results are decent. I am quite satisfied with them. I did spend a lot of time sanding them (using a palm sander since we don't have big sanders on island). 



 I used a combination of glue and sawdust and the commercial wood patch material to fill in the gaps between the floor boards. That part I am very pleased with. It came out great!










 For the cement floors I used a concrete latex stain with two colors. First a light grey and then a brownish color. I used a sponge and a rag to give texture. I wish the floor could have been smoother, but I have satisfied with the outcome. I topped it off with two coats of a concrete sealer with a gloss finish.



















We also got some simple CABINETS installed in the KITCHEN! Huge. We used what they call baboon plywood to make them. I don't need anything fancy for this space. I will stain them a similar color to the wooden floors and call it a day.




















Now what remains is doing the final touches of painting the walls, the door trims, etc.
I also need to install kitchen sink and faucet.
Tile the kitchen counter-top and back-splash.
And the interior will be pretty much FINISHED!!!





















I have a strict deadline for Sunday, November 23. WHYYYYYY? Because, I was invited by the St. Croix Landmarks Society to give a "House Tour" for their "Places That Matter" event. It coincides with a Regional Genealogy and History Conference that they are hosting. It will be the first time that the public will be invited to the space. Yes, pressure. 





9 comments:

  1. Amazing work! The house is looking really mighty fine. I love the neutral colors of the paints you chose, as well as the minimal, but tasteful interiors. Thank you so much for sharing the lovely pictures! Good luck with the remainder of the work!

    Lois Schneider @ Okotoks Ranchers Rise

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! keep up the good work
    tukang bangunan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I have also been working on a documentary which you can see a rough draft of the first 8 min here.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWKTKgl_2Ho
      And later will be working on a book project.
      Best regards.

      Delete
  3. Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on. You have done a outstanding job! trevisluke.splashthat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaa, its fastidious discussion about this post here at this weblog, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting at this place. My Blog https//:www.movieforyou.sitew.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I truly appreciate your efforts and I am waiting for your next write ups thank you once again. My Blog http://cinecrios.simplesite.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spot up for this write-up, I seriously feel this exceptional webpage desires more consideration. I’ll extra likely after far more to determine significantly a lot more, thanks for that data. My Blog http://trailpreview.myblog.de/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your imagination and quality has never dropped, and your graphics have been phenomenal for decades now! You are truly an inspiration for other artists. Bravo!

    Concrete Patios Houston

    ReplyDelete